Technological innovation is at the heart of development. But for technology to drive inclusive development that empowers communities, it must be widely available and usable by ordinary citizens, wherever they may be. In the area of technology therefore, IID promotes the development of simple, affordable and readily deployable technology to improve the lives of ordinary people, irrespective of where they live. Our specific areas of focus are:
- Incubation and transfer of appropriate technology;
- Bridging digital divides;
- Young people, ICT and development;
- New media and social and political change;
- Technology in indigenous knowledge systems;
- Technology diffusion; and
- Technology and culture.